Re: Tall stud wall framing / IRC rant

On Aug 27, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

Oh, I don't disagree that the table is accurate. I believe that it is misleading.
I've been through this with piping codes. You're looking at the difference between an engineer responsible for familiarity with the codes and someone whose responsibility is something else.

Every design provision that was ever set out is conditional on something else--you can't just pick things from a book, unless you know the limitations. I had a guy who neglected to account for the buckling strength of a vacuum vessel. He kept alibi-ing that he didn't screw up because he'd done calculations correctly. In fact he'd 'accounted' for the internal vacuum by doing pressure stress calculations as if the higher pressure was inside. He was deeply wounded when I told him that his engineering was crap, so his arithmetic was irrelevant. Same with your contractor--he consulted the code, which is OK, but he didn't know enough to understand what it was telling him, which is not OK. That's why engineers have to keep up with their schoolwork.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/