From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:22:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Seismic Design

On Aug 27, 2005, at 12:26 PM, GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> How would you explain to a non-engineer  how a building that has been > designed for a place where earthquakes are likely would be different > from a building designed for say, Chicago.
The difference is response to lateral loads. If I wanted to go to no trouble at all I'd find a marker pen with a flat end and set it upright on a sheet of paper. Show him that it can support a lot of load in compression provided there's no side loads. When you jerk the paper sideways even a little the pen falls down. That really demonstrates kinematic instability and not structural instability, but there's no point beating the subject to death. You want to demonstrate the difference between gravity and lateral base load response.
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp