Re: Seismic Design

The analogy I use is standing up in the back of a pickup truck.  It lurches forward and you either are adequately braced and remain standing, or you're not and you fall over or out.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 8/27/05 12:16:23 PM, chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com writes:

> Actually, what I want to tell him is how the building would be
> different.
The difference, at its root, is the increased resistance to lateral
loads. You could tell him that, but if he's a non-engineer, you'd have
a tough time explaning notions like inertial loading and load paths.