From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 9:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Joliet prison is a 'Break'-out star

> Is this the way  we want structural engineers portrayed??
> It starts Monday!
We probably shouldn't get terribly worked up over something as
impossible as a collective image. This list is proof positive that there
is no such thing even among a sub-discipline like civil/structural
engineers. There isn't anything typical even about engineering practice,
let alone the practitioners. I watch James Stewart play a somewhat ditsy
aeronautical engineering genius (No Highway in the Sky'--you should see
it if you haven't) and I think 'Wull, gee whiz, those Hollywood fellas
just don't know what engineers actually do, now do they? Doggone-it,
it's not right...it's just not right!' But that's OK--my mother went to
her grave not knowing what I do, and my wife just says 'some kind of
mechanical engineer.' That's life.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/