RE: Joliet prison is a 'Break'-out star

He'd better have special powers, because how will he
have access to the "soft spots" of the facility?  I
was trying to explain to my wife just how inaccurately
this or any other structural engineer will be
protrayed.

Even watching "Escape From Alcatraz," there was some
reality in that the moisture due to the prison's
location would crack and weaken the concrete at the
ventilation grate that Dirty Harry eventually squeezed
out of.  Even then though, it took him a while to chip
away at it with a set of nail clippers, get crafty
with  the crafts, then go exploring the mech'l
corridors and the like.

Andy DeFruense (sp?) in "Shawshank" took years to dig,
and crawled through crap to get out.  Although, I
would think he'd pass out from the toxic gas build-up
in the waste line.  Just a guess...  I'm only an
engineer...

My point is, my wife has little technical
understanding of what I do, but she is very supportive
and understanding of the responsibility I take on.
It's admirable that this guy would commit a crime to
be close to his brother. But then, he'll commit a
bigger crime of escaping prison with his brother.

I just don't see any positives coming out of this
show, particularly with respect to a structural
engineer being a lead character.  Whether it's a good
show or not, we'll have to see...  People like to
gravitate toward "reality TV."

David Topete, S.E.
SF, CA