Re: Seismic Design Hypothetical

Not to dicker (even though I love to <grin>), but I doubt that a parking
garage even in DC is purely governed by gravity.  It will still have to be
designed for seismic (which will likely "govern" over wind due to the mass
of the concrete).

There will likley be differences between DC and SF.  If precast, there is
more likelihood that the DC garage will have "light walls" that could
handle some of the lateral loads, while more than likely the SF garage
will have a LOT more solid walls (i.e. shear walls)...especially in the
interior after Northridge.  If cast-in-place, you might be able to get
away with a lot of flat plat construction in DC, while in SF you will
likely have beams (to create moment frames) or again a heck of a lot more
shear walls.  The definite differences will likely be things that you
cannot see in the finished product (i.e. the ductile reinforcement
detailing required for the SF garage) and that a "layperson" may or may
not notice during construction.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI