Designing "Window Walls" per the 2003 IRC

We are developing a new short course (15 hours, 1.5 CEU’s) on designing residential walls with large window and door areas per the 2003 International Residential Code(IRC). The objectives of the October 25-27, 2005 course are a mastery of IRC prescriptive designs for wall bracing. Understanding the 2003 IRC and the 2004 Supplements should allow for solutions to various window wall arrangements and large openings without the need for engineered designs. The course will present the eight methods outlined in IRC Section R602.10.1 for basic designs, followed by alternatives provided for unique architectural details.

The course content will be delivered on a “practical level” by reviewing plans in a workshop environment. The instructors will discuss various options, applying the methods to worked examples. Visit

www.conted.vt.edu/sdww/

for course details and registration.  Specific questions not covered in the course website can be addressed to me at:fwoeste(--nospam--at)vt.edu

Thanks, Frank Woeste, P. E.
Professor Emeritus
Virginia Tech University

Thanks, Frank

Frank Woeste, Ph.D., P.E.

Our next short course at Virginia Tech is:

Designing and Evaluating Residential Walls with Large Openings

For more information and registration details, please visit: www.conted.vt.edu/sdww/