To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: Field Welding Costs

I can't address the welding costs.  But if you detail
a plate on the bottom wider than the bottom flange,
you can use a down hand weld.  Similarly, a plate on
the top narrower than the top flange allows a down
hand weld.  You end up with two different size plates
but the down hand weld is better and less expensive.

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ
--- Raymond Shreenan <rshreenan(--nospam--at)adelphia.net> wrote:

Hi Sport Fans:

Do any of you have a rough idea of what current
field welding costs per inch or foot are for stick
welding 5/16" to 3/8" fillet welds to A36 steel?  I
have a job that will require cover plates welded top
and bottom to an existing girder so there will be
down hand and overhead welding.  The underside of
the girders are 7' 3" above grade with good access
top and bottom.  The welds will be continuous at max
stress areas and stitch welded to lesser stress
areas based on the horizontal shear forces at the
new plate interface level from service loads.
Thanks in advance for any info y'all might have.  I
have to break the bad news whatever it is to the HOA
at a meeting tomorrow evening and I would like be in
the ball park.
Ray Shreenan SE