Re: Technology and Structural Engineering

On Aug 30, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Dave Adams wrote:

I don't believe this profession is driven to dramatic improvement by technology.
I think it's important to distinguish the impact on the tasks from the impact on the job. The job is basically application of the principles of mechanics which really hasn't changed, but the tasks, calculation, preparation of design documents, analysis, document management and communication have changed remarkably.

That said, I'm not all that certain that the technology doesn't seem to have made across-the-board improvements in engineering productivity, certainly not in the manufacturing areas where I work. I've heard a lot of claims, usually by software developers, but I don't see as much overall impact in particularly improved design methodology, lower costs or shorter design lead times.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/