Re: Technology and Structural Engineering

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your thorough response.  I agree with you on most of the points you have mentioned.

However, I feel that significant (if not dramatic) improvement is possible, in every single field.  Structural Engineering is no different.   Also underlying principles never change - in any field, but technology gives us a way of discovering them or looking at the facts in a variety of different ways and including a number of parameters previously ignored...  Take an example of weather forecasts..  5-10 years ago, we did not receive such accurate weather forecasts.  Maybe the recent Hurricane Katrina will bring in more data to the structural engineers regarding materials, methods that might help us further down the road in being better equipped to handle such severe storms.

That reminds me:  I have not seen many postings on this board regarding Hurricane Katrina.  There must be a few members from the afffected areas.  Hope they are safe and doing fine.

Regards,

-Chitra