Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 4:28 PM
Subject: Waffle Slab Shear Thickness

I am looking at the concrete floor/roof diaphragms of an existing multi-story building.  The floors are either 2 1/2" or 4 1/2" thick with integral concrete joists at 2'-6" on center that frame into integral concrete beams.  My question is what effective floor thickness would you use for resisting the seismic diaphragm forces?  The easy and quick response would be to just use either the 2 1/2" or 4 1/2" floor thickness but I was hoping to take advantage of the joists.  Is there such a thing as an "effective floor thickness" for resisting seismic diaphragm shears in a waffle slab system?

Thanks,

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting