Re: Designing "Window Walls" per the 2003 IRC

In a message dated 8/31/05 10:45:48 AM, Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
The real sad thing about this is if you design to the prescriptive requirements of the CBC or  2003 IRC you get the damage as we have seen in Mississippi and along the Gulf Coast.

That's politics!  Heaven forbid that we should design for the ACTUAL loads that a structure is likely to experience.  I can understand someone resisting designing for an earthquake with a return period of maybe 500 years, but hurricanes happen, oh, monthly in the summer, don't they?  We get what we pay for, and boy are they paying for it right now in Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.  Nobody seems to like the word "incompetence," but one has to wonder if the various governmental levels are doing their job when one sees the front page of today's papers.

Was anyone else as shocked as I was to see 3-lane expressway/freeway dead clogged with traffic trying to get out of New Orleans, while the other 3 lanes were completely empty?  Guess no one was willing to drive "against the grain" even if their life depended on it.  I suppose they'll say those lanes had to be kept open for "emergency vehicles."

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA