From: Structures Online [mailto:3.sol(--nospam--at)spectranet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Technology and Structural Engineering

While I fully agree that knowing the basis of mechanics (both statics & dynamics) is essential for any structural engineer, I cant understand what is the need of designing a 20 storey building (or for that matter the simplest or smallest of structures) by hand in today's world. And let me add that doing it by hand is superlatively inferior to designing it by a 3D modeling software (specially the analysis part). I have seen and compared results, the calcs done by hand are grossly conservative & grossly wrong in many areas, not to say it takes a much longer duration. Most of the assumptions give wrong result. The basic problem is that by hand we do not distribute the forces in relation to the displacements, which "in plain & simple words" is WRONG. One such example was recently given by Christopher Wright in terms of distribution of slab loads to beams. I can give hundreds of such examples.

When the tools were not available, there was no choice but to make those assumptions so as to be able to do the calculations in a feasible time frame (translating to economic viability). But I would say it is criminal, to do it by hand in today's world when the tools are available. Using these tools do not imply that you should devote less time to a project. It simply means we should make the project more structural efficient (implying optimize between safety & economy) by giving it the same amount of time. The error lies in trying to design a 100 storied building in 1 day (although one may think that he can do it).

I would also like to make a statement that some would probably not like, but the fact is that someone who designs only by hand, knows less about structural behaviour than someone who uses all these available tools. It takes 1 minute to rotate the orientation of a column, or increase the size of the beam & see the impact on the whole structure. The overall comprehension of structural integrity & efficiency obtained by playing with structure on a 3D software cannot be obtained by knowing basic statics or dynamics.

All my ranting above, also answers in part, the role of technology in Structural Engineering, as asked by Chitra. To add, technology in every walk of life, is a double edged sword, it can either make your life better, or it can simply destroy you. But the choice is most of the time, ours.

And as Ralph said ">Wouldn't go back for the world.   :)

Regards

Pankaj Gupta
Structures Online.
India