RE: Shear Modulus

Thanks guys, I was just looking for values for Poisson’s ratio.  Your values are close to what I came up with.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:06 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear Modulus

Jason,

        There is always the old stand by equation

        E = 2G(1+u)

where

        E = Young's Modulus.

        G = shear modulus, and

        u = Poisson's ratio.

        Really good quality (high strength,low w/c ratio) concrete may have u = 0.2, otherwise values of 0.25 or 0.3 may apply.

        I understand the above equation to be correct but the values I have suggested may be suspect.  I expect that Gail Kelly may be a good source of this data.

        Hope this isn't too misleading for your purposes.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson