RE: HSS vs WF columns

You should check UL for fire resistive construction for minimum wall
thickness of HSS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: HSS vs WF columns

I think you have to look at more than the material price.  The cost
of connections to HSS can be more.  A wide flange is more accessible
for bolting, if the HSS is lighter due to its more efficient shape it
may be narrower and hence harder to fit angles on for conns, full
strength splices of tubes are more expensive and so on.  However, HSS
are more aesthetically pleasing.

Hope this helps a little.

Gary