From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wood truss as drag strut

I guess I was not clear on the wall and truss orientation.  The trusses are gable trusses so they span perpendicular to the ridge.  The shear wall is parallel to the truss.  I either use the truss as a drag strut, or take the wall to the roof at the wall only.  The trusses would be adjacent to the wall.

I don’t see how the slide clips would help.

It seems to me it would be a cleaner detail to take the wall to the roof so I don’t have to have a transfer of forces from the truss to the wall.  I also don’t have to concern myself with the truss supplier designing the trusses correctly.

Rich