Re: sloped conc. diaphragm

Hi,

Some general tips: If this construction is in cold region and freeze thaw resistance may be important, you may want to limit the water-cement ratio of the concrete.  I have seen sloping concrete slabs on roofs in regions of very heavy rainfall.  The joints  need to be very well detailed and poured, to avoid future leakages.  I am not sure how much of a slope you will be designing, but both the accumulation and your design will naturally depend on the slope.  Also regarding maintenance, any accumulation of leaves from adjacent trees etc on the roof can give rise to more dampness that eventually penetrates the concrete and starts the deterioration.

-Chitra

Chitra Javdekar, Ph.D.
Prudent Solutions Inc
30 High Street
Somerville MA 02144

Hi:

Has any one had the occasion callout a sloped concrete (roof) diaphragm. I realize pouring concrete on a slope is less than ideal. I am designing a structure to withstand impact from an avalanche and want to use as much conc. as possible. Any input is appreciated.

S.

Jason Atwood, P.E.