Re: HSS vs WF columns

Bill et al,
The volume of hot rolled shapes is significantly greater than that of
HSS sections-hence the market dictates that the HSS will cost more.
A second factor which I was given by someone in the Can Institute of
Steel Construction is that the demand for HSS is greater in the
trucking industry than the whole structural market, but it is
concentrated in fewer sections of which not all are the same as the
structural sector. Probably because they crash them every so often or
they get eaten by road salt. However perhaps that remark may have
been relative to the Canadian market.
Gary