From: Ed Tornberg [mailto:ed(--nospam--at)tornbergconsulting.com]
Sent:
Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Retaining Wall Sliding

RetainPro is driving me nuts today.

A retaining wall footing is to be poured on a stiff clay excavation.

My two bookshelf references -

            Foundation Design and  Analysis, by Bowles, 5th ed, Fig 12-12

            NAVFAC Design Manual 7.02, Fig 15 et. al

CLEARLY indicate that adhesion may be combined with friction in developing sliding resistance (as well as passive pressures).

RetainPro allows only one or the other.

Same with the values on IBC Table 1804.2

What is wrong?  Can anyone confirm that they combine adhesion and friction in design?  Are there other retaining wall programs that allow it?

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165