ENGINEERS AND TECHNOLOGY

The problem with this advice is that the
"song-and-dance" engineers (hereinafter referred to as
SADE) can say "most of it can be done by HC, but it
would take much more time and wouldn?t be nearly as
accurate" in a far more convincing manner than the
technically astute engineers.  I know its
stereotypical to suggest it, but many good engineers
aren't that good at selling anything.  That's why they
remain in the trenches and an SADE is his boss.

A few years ago, I tried to do a simple square root by
hand.  I'd forgotten how to do it.  I know it's not
hard, and I could relearn it easily, but the fact is I
couldn't do it and, by the way, there's no reason to
know how anymore.  I just press the square root button
and trust that the calculator knows what its doing.
Hope no one asks me: "could you do it if I took your
calculator away?"  But an SADE in that situation would
probably have an acceptable answer.  I'd have to say,
"no."

John Riley

On a couple of occasions I suggested a simple test of
a candidate?s competence. After he delivers his
impressive CA presentation, ask him: ?how much of it
could you do if I took your computer away??

If he is stunned, do not bother with him.  But if his
answer is ?most of it can be done by HC, but it would
take much more time and wouldn?t be nearly as
accurate? then he is OK.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs