RE: Is Everyone Present And Accounted For?

Our company has one engineer not accounted for in New Orleans.

26 August, Friday - FEMA MO Task Force 1 was activated the evening

27 August, Saturday - MO FT 1 light rescue team deployed

28 August, Sunday - Hurricane Katrina upgraded to Category 5

29 August, Monday - Hurricane Katrina made landfall. Search & Rescue followed

30 August, Tuesday - FEMA TAC teams were notfied for activation.

31 August, Wednesday - Additional MO TF 1 resources deployed

I was in meetings with the Navy on 31 August and Army on 1 - 2 September and did not deploy.

Black & Veatch deployed about 30 engineers for repair of the cell telephone system last week.

Following is a report in the Kansas City Star about what is going on. The full article is at:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/12561019.htm

Regards,
Harold Sprague

.........Dustin Rackers, 25, of Jefferson City, was riding in a military truck with 15 rescued victims from a six-story apartment building. His job was to take them to the New Orleans airport. Most of these victims were in wheelchairs. FEMA told him to drop the victims there because medical workers were treating victims at the airport.

But when Rackers? team pulled into the airport, a local law officer pointed a gun at him and told him to go away. We?re full, he told Rackers. Take them to the freeway.

?I could not drop those people along Interstate 10 ? I couldn?t do it,? he said.

So Rackers drives to the sprawling Saints facility, to temporarily leave the victims at the Missouri team?s base camp. Again he is stopped. Several deputies and polices officers point weapons at him. We don?t care, one officer says, as Rackers tried to explain. Take them AWAY.

Rackers frantically calls FEMA, which again tells him to take the victims to the airport.

At the airport, another weapon is pointed in his face. Except this time, ?a nurse was nearby and began yelling, ?We want them, we want them,? ? Rackers said. All told, the victims had been in his truck for four hours as he drove back and forth. .......