RE: Rebuilding the Gulf Coast

Jim and Dennis:

I have to chime in a little bit on this too. I think that I submitted a recent post on the steel mesh-foam core-plaster-cement sandwich panels. I have never understood why this system didn't take off like it should have. These panels are easy to assemble. It is possible to make the panels also work as roofs or 2nd floors and there are and were ICBO reports available at least 20 years ago.

They were used quite a bit in Saudi Arabia and Nigeria and there is (repeating from the earlier post) a tract of houses in Chino, California. They are also fairly straight forward in structural design. There's a structural engineer on the northern California coast that was an expert in this; a former either UCLA or SC professor that was the original structural engineer on the old W-Panel system.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, ca