Re: Is Everyone Present And Accounted For?----[Choices]

Wasn't the reduction of government to blame for the levees only being 80%
completed?

I've heard a statistic like this bandied about several times. Could someone point me at a source? I'm from New Orleans, and I don't recall levees ever being "80% complete". Levees that are only partially complete leak. ;-)

Regarding overall levee height, that is a different issue.  There was
a very informative segment with the USACE General for the SE Region
(I believe) on PBS last night.  He pointed out that the levee risk
assessment and design were for a Cat 3 hurricane.  This was based on
acceptable risk levels (Pf = 0.005/year) that were determined in concert
with the people who held the purse-strings.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR and Lecturer