RE: Is Everyone Present And Accounted For?----[Choices]

Google: "Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project"

-----Original Message-----
From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Is Everyone Present And Accounted For?----[Choices]

> Wasn't the reduction of government to blame for the levees only being 80%
> completed?

I've heard a statistic like this bandied about several times.  Could someone
point me at a source?  I'm from New Orleans, and I don't recall levees ever
being "80% complete".  Levees that are only partially complete leak.  ;-)

Regarding overall levee height, that is a different issue.  There was
a very informative segment with the USACE General for the SE Region
(I believe) on PBS last night.  He pointed out that the levee risk
assessment and design were for a Cat 3 hurricane.  This was based on
acceptable risk levels (Pf = 0.005/year) that were determined in concert
with the people who held the purse-strings.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR and Lecturer