From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Katrina emergency response

There are a few things that should be considered in gauging the response to
date.

1.  FEMA Urban Search and Rescue are considered first responders.  As such
they have extensive training, and deploy to be self sufficient.  Their
training includes all aspects that you could consider including HAZMAT,
safety, emergency medicine, rescue, logistics, structural assessment and
shoring.  They deploy with dogs and remote sensing equipment.  They train as

teams, and they cross train in other areas such as water rescue.  They have
procedures.  Untrained volunteers have often caused dangerous situations for

themselves and interfere with rescue efforts.  The searches are set up on
gridded maps and are coordinated with other teams.  They DO NOT routinely
report to the media.  They just do the work in a professional, organized
manner.  Sometimes volunteers are essential and are critical to recovery.
Sometimes they get in the way, create hazards, and consume TF resources.

2.  The career FEMA people take the lead.  The senior politically appointed
FEMA people do the press conferences and just let the professional career
FEMA people do their work.  During the Clinton administration, there was no
FEMA head for almost 4 months.  FEMA's ability was not compromised.  It made

no difference.  They know what to do in the trenches.

3.  The FEMA TAC contracts will be next and will help the area re-construct.

4.  Any emergency training at all tells people that the locals will have to
be capable of taking care of themselves on a local basis for several days
following a disaster.  All Federal resources take time to set up and deploy.

  You can't deploy a force from a remote location instantly.

5.  Keep in mind that this is the biggest disaster that anyone has ever
attempted to manage.  There will be lessons learned.

6.  FEMA USAR Missouri Task Force 1 deployed early last July for a
hurricane.  They sat around Georgia for a while, and when it petered out and

did not cause any damage they came home.  It cost money, but we were
positioned to respond if it did.  There was no media documenting us sitting
around a hotel.

Could Katrina have been managed better?  Yes, with the aid of hind site.  I
don't recall any outcry to bolster FEMA emergency forces PRIOR to the
arrival of Katrina.  There is enough blame for everyone.  But let's get NO
back on line first.  We will just do the work and let Congress tell us what
we did wrong after we are done.

For the professionals there will be de-briefings to correct problems for
future deployments.  For the amateurs and politicians there will be
Congressional hearings.

Regards,
Harold Sprague