RE: Katrina emergency response

Now, you should be fair...

While there can be legitimate arguements about what was done to FEMA,
tossing all the blame of lack of funding for the leeve and other flood
projects in the NO area by the Corps of Engineers on the Republicans is
ignoring history.  Such projects also suffered while Clinton was in office
and also while Dems controlled Congress.  The plain simple truth is that
upgrading the leeves (as has been proposed by the Corps of Engineers and
others) is not "sexy" and as a result lacks political support within
Congress.  Those that advocate such infrastructure projects that actually
ARE needed and good usually don't hold the power positions in Congress
(i.e. committee chairs, etc).  As a result, we get wonder pork projects in
the recent Transportation Bill such as the $231 million or so for a bridge
to no where in Alaska (while Bill P and I disagree on a lot and he frankly
provides me with the comic relief that he accuses others of, I agree with
him that there are some down right shameful pork in the recent
Transporation Bill) rather than funding upgrading of leeves that might
have mitigated some of the recent hurricane damage and flooding to NO.

My point is that there is plenty of blame to go around.  While I am not a
fan of Bush, I do agree that now is not yet the time to play the blame
game.  There will be plenty of time in the near future to do finger
pointing (aka Congressional hearings) that (ALL) politicians love so much.

My other point is that if you are not willing to acknowledge the whole
truth, then you basically undermine yourself in making your own arguement.
In this case, the whole truth is that Dems have been just as guilty in not
funding upgrades of the leeves (assuming you consider that a necessary and
important task...some don't).  In addition, contrary to Bill's comical
attacks on local NO and LA officials and seeming defense of the federal
response, the feds dropped the ball.  But I don't say this to let others
off the hook...there appears to be a lot of mistakes/blame to go around at
all levels (public, local government, state government, federal
government, Dems, Republicans).

But, to me, now is not the time to be doing the whole blame game and
pointing fingers unless someone is actively "dropping the ball" and needs
to be called to account right now to get an immediate change.  Of course,
being the cynic, even when it is time to "play the blame" game, I believe
that nothing will really happen that really changes things.  It will just
be a bunch of politicians that point of fingers and none that take
responsibility for anything.

Sorry for the soap box.

Scott
Adrian, MI