RE: Katrina emergency response

I am writing in an effort to end this unfortunate thread.  Natural disasters are not Republican, nor Democrat, nor conservative, nor liberal.  They are not always avoidable, by design or by operation, so they happen from time to time.  These tragedies must be responded to by ordinary people working through civilian and government agencies.  Neither the people nor the agencies are perfect.  Trying to assign blame is not productive except to the extent that it leads to improved future response.

A poll was conducted by CNN/USAToday/Gallup on September 5 and 6.  The results were published today:

Who is responsible for the slow initial response?

13% - George W. Bush
18% - Federal Agencies (presumably FEMA)
25% - State and Local Officials
38% - Nobody

Other interesting results from this poll ...

93% - Katrina is the worst disaster in their lifetime

63% - No federal officials should be fired as a result of the Katrina response

56% - New Orleans is damaged beyond repair

63% - New Orleans should be rebuilt

Since the last two results appear to be in direct conflict (at least to me), it would have been nice if there had been some follow-up questions to provide context.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas