Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 10:02 AM
Subject: what SEs can do NOW...

This is not a political statement at all...

As someone who is still doing forensic work from last year's hurricanes here in FL, let me tell you, there will be work for structural engineers for years after this. The first in will be people like Harold doing emergency-type reconnaiscance. Then, once the place has dried out a bit, insurance companies will need to get in there and start assessing, and then wave two of SEs will need to move in to assess what can be repaired, what is a total loss, etc. One of my biggest clients does this and I already put my name on that list. But long term, throughout the Gulf, there will be rebuilding whether New Orleans is completely put back together or not. I am sure there will be more work then engineers in the Gulf can handle, and plenty of work volunteer and paid will be available. Do not feel bad about getting work from all of this, insurance companies do pay for much of it and FL got a huge shot in the arm from all the reconstruction work, and I still am personally getting work from it (sort of a silver lining). Also, I am sure there will be LOTS of volunteer opportunities through organizations like Habitat for Humanity or Salvation Army....

But for now, what I would suggest, is that we all stay up on the news, keep our ears open for opportunities to help out, and focus on making money in our own backyards so we can afford to donate as much as possible.

Now I will get back to work before this stupid Tropical Depression sitting off our coast decides to come my way and knock me out of the game......

Andrew Kester, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
Lake Mary, FL