RE: Katrina emergency response

> Most of the people on this list are bootlickers for one party or the
> other. It is really entertaining sometimes. Maybe every level of
> government involved hosed it and noone wants to take the blame?

1) I despise all existing political parties. I am naive enough to agree
with President Washington, that political factions are the bane of the
Republic. Not one of them matches my own personal beliefs, but certain
ones are nothing but criminal organizations, dressed up to look
"respectable."

2) Yes, "every level of government failed" because people died and stuff
got broken. The same level of "intelligence" that informs those who
believe that mankind can change the climate of the world, also seems to
think that if we just pass enough legislation, disease will be cured
(hat-tip to John Edwards), violence will be a thing of the past, war will
be no more, and of course the weather will be biddable.

It is to laugh, of course.

In the end, what remains is the strong reaching out to succor the weak,
and the performance of those acts of kindness and humanity that are the
central article of faith of every major religion in history.

The political power that so many lust after is nothing, never has been.

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-P. B. Shelley, "Ozymandias"