Re: CMU Wall Rigidity

Chitra.....thanks for the reference.  It's quite useful but unfortunately has the same limitation as my other references in that their examples place the openings at the same elevation.  My main problem is how to use the (solid wall) - (strip w/openings) + (piers) method when the openings aren't at the same elevation.  For example, in the drawing on page 12 of the referenced document, increase the window height so it extends the same 2'-8" above the door that the door extends below the window.  That is the situation I'm having trouble with.

Gary Grinstead

>>> cdeshpan(--nospam--at)yahoo.com 9/8/2005 6:16 AM >>>
Hi Gary,

You may find some very useful information in this report regarding your CMU wall rigidity question.

-Chitra

http://www.usace.army.mil/inet/usace-docs/armytm/tm5-809-3/chap7.pdf