From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Wood Grading Stamp

That argument is, excuse my language, bullsh!t. I wouldn't sign off on it unless the timbers were massively overdesigned and I knew that I could make the job work with absolutely lousy wood.

The best thing to do is to make him get the timbers graded and accept a letter of grading from a properly trained expert.  Let him know that if the grade is weaker, he'll have to pay for a re-analysis and may still need to get stronger timbers based on your new analysis and the timeber grade he has.

joraljim(--nospam--at)prtc.net wrote:

I designed a small wood dock structure supported on 8"x8" timber elements. In the contract documents, I specified that the each piece of lumber shall have a grade stamp of grading agency.

The contractor provides timber elements without any stamp, arguing that the timber are "rustic" elements.

Is that argument acceptable?

Jorge Jimenez, EIT

This message was sent using http://webmail.coqui.net