Masonry wall with epoxy anchors

List,

Due to contractor error, I had to externally reinforce a 12" CMU stack bonded cavity wall after-the-fact.

My detail included continuous steel plates with epoxy anchors drilled into the center of existing solid grouted cores.  The wall will be furred out, so the repair will not be visible after the project is finished.

I now find out that the contractor ignored portions of the submitted fix, and in some cases, located the anchors right in a mortar joint.

Questions:

1.  Because the wall is grouted solid, would you be concerned with edge distance of the bolt relative to the edge of the individual block?

2.  Are the blocks considered as individual units with respect to the new bolts and their capacities, or is the entire cmu wall acting as 1 monolithic unit?

3.  How much of a strength reduction would you take because the bolt is located in or right next to a mortar joint, and not the published distance away from a free edge?

The worst case scenario would be to remove and relocate the plate and bolts to the specified location(s).  As always, time is a major concern , and they would like to move on with minimal rework.

Thanks

Dave Nuttall, P.E.
Green Bay, WI