Re: Wood Grading Stamp

I think Jordan's response is right on point...to a degree.

In general, timbers used in timber framing will _NOT_ have grading stamps
on them for many reasons.  One such reason is for appearance reasons
(timbers, especially in timber frames, are generally left exposed and a
grade stamp is not exactly a visiable pleasing thing).  If proof of
grading is required, it is generally done by way of a letter from the
trained/certified "grader".

Thus, in my opinion the arguement has merit but also is bullsh!t to quote
Jordan.  It all depends on how one looks at it.  If the arguement really
is meant to be something like "we don't put grade stamps on timbers for
aesethic reasons, but can provide proof in other manners", then it is 100%
correct.  If on the otherhand, the arguement is that "we are not providing
a grade stamp cause we don't want to and you will just have to believe
us", then they should be called on it.  So, I would suggest that a little
more information is warranted.

I would point out that some would consider the spec requirement to be too
restrictive and "bullsh!t".  Why do you need to have a grade stamp when a
letter will work, especially considering that timbers generally have a
real aesethic component.  It could be that it is a case of an engineer not
being familiar with the "standard of practice" of a particular trade.

So, I would relax a little and find out if the contractor is taking a
literal reading of the spec and does not want to provide an actual stamp
on the wood, but would provide a letter from a certified grader.  If they
resist providing such a letter at least, then something starts to smell in
my opinion at that point.

Regards,

Scott (who happens to work part-time for a timber framer)
Adrian, MI