RE: Markers for PE exam reference materials?

When I took the PE exam, and that was a couple two-tree years ago.  And
straight from Lindburg's Civil Engineering Reference Manual (which I
recommend), on pave xxiv, states the question, "May I place tabs on certain
pages?"  Then answer:
"It is common to tab pages in your books in an effort to reduce the time
required to located useful sections.  Inasmuch as some states consider
Post -it Noetes to be "loose paper," your tabs should be of the "permanent"
variety.  Although you can purchase tabs with gummed attachment points, it
is also possible simply to use transparent tape to attach the Post-its you
have already palaced in your books."

Thank you Michael Lindburg, PE.

So, tabs are acceptable for your texts for the PE exam.  Furthermore, you
will likely get a list of guidelines from your local board of examiners as
to what they consider acceptable or not.  For the state of Wyoming, it was
clear that no Post-its were allowed, and any tabs had to be perminantly
fixed to the materials with tape or a puchased tab (which are inexpensive).
As a result, and because I'm anal about things like this, when I went to
tabing my books, I developed a color coded system for each of the sections
of the CERM (structural, water, transportation, geotech, and enviro).  I
also adopted a similar tabing style to my LRFD manual for quick visual
references which separated my book into section properties, design
specifications,  and so on.  Again, I purchased these tabs, because, that's
how I roll.  They also made it clear that there was to be no loose leaf
paper.  Which, simply put, every bit of paper brought into the exam had to
be bound in some way shape or form.  This included binders.  So, with me, I
also brough all of my previously solved problems in a binder, which actually
came in handy on a problem or two.  These too were tabed based on content.

To make a long story short, you can use tabs for the PE exam.  To be on the
safe side, stear clear of the yellow stickys.  Plus, they can always come
out at the most inopportune times, leaving you searching for something that
would easily be found, had you used a different tab.  But, again, that's how
I roll.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming