Re: Markers for PE exam reference materials?

Jeremy,

As others have pointed out the key part to me is the reference to closed
book exams.  The PE exam in every state (to my knowledge at least) is
considered an open book exam.  Thus, the FAQ response would not see to
apply.  The EIT is likely what they are referring to as you are not
permitted to bring you own reference material anymore (used to be that you
could).  Instead, they provide you with the reference book and this FAQ
response is likely aimed at that situation.  In otherwords, they likely
don't want you "mucking" up the reference book(let) that they provide to
you in the EIT exam which you must turn back in at the end of the exam (I
believe).

Still the best entity to ask (as you seem to realize) is state board for
where you will be taking the exam.  But, as you point out, you have a
slight "issue" with being able to do that.  As a result, I think that
others have give good advice.

If worse comes to worse and you want to take the most "conservative"
approach, then remove the tabs, but write a list of important subjects in
the front cover of each book with the corresponding page numbers (i.e.
list subject and page number in the front cover of each tab and then
remove the tab).  While not as quick as the tabs, it is still better than
having to look in the index or table of contents and then find the
specific page that you want.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI