Re: Masonry wall with epoxy anchors

I would be careful.  The problem sounds as if it could be just an issue of
minimum reinforcement to minimize shrinkage effects (not 100% clear to be
the case, which is why I am want to look at the code requirements).  If
so, the advocating ripping down the wall and replacing could be a bit on
the drastic side.

Note that I am not advocating doing the engineering to fix another's
mistake for free.  The contractor should have to pay for ALL expenses to
fix the problem...the client should not have to pay for the contractor's
mistake.  But, that does not mean that the engineer has to rigidly demand
the potentially most expensive repair/fix, espeically if there are other
options that will work.

In an ideal world, the contractor would be forced to rip down the wall and
replace it at his/her expense and learn a lesson.  More than likely in the
real world, in such a situation, the contractor would get pissed and find
other ways to recoup the money and potentially find a way to retaliate
against the engineer in some way causing the project to spiral into one
big hatefest of all parties involved.  Being rigid and confrontational
usually only gets you a rigid board upsite the head, so to speak.  Doesn't
mean that such approachs are not meritted at times, but should be rarely
done and done with caution.  Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI