Re: Field welding

My pithy comment is that an engineer can mandate anything that s/he wants.
Doesn't make it right.  Doesn't mean it will be followed.  Doesn't
necessarily mean it should be follow (i.e. if it not right).  Doesn't mean
that it may or may not be in conflict with code requirements.

Sorry, not much help on the pure techinical side of stuff, but I figure
better folks than me will answer your technical questions about the
welding (i.e. preheat etc).

As to halving the allowable stresses for field welds, sure the engineer
can mandate that.  The engineer can require stuff that exceeds minimum
code levels.  Such practices might put said engineer out of business as
the projects s/he design might end up costing more and client tend to like
cheap, er, low upfront costs.  It could, however, be prudent and result is
a very desirable result when a future significant event happens (i.e.
earthquake, hurricane, large snow storm, etc).  Point is the engineer can
do it...the real question is should the engineer do it...and that question
is highly debatable especially depending on the specific circumstances.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI