Re: Katrina emergency response

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

I haven't had a chance to look at the NOAA site, but did d/l the wind data from FEMA. Just looking at the two .jpg files was quite enlightening.

I took that execrable piece of MS cr*p, "Streets and Trips" and imported the storm center locations from the XLS file found there. I want eventually to build up a more detailed version of the windspeed data, and include rough approximations of what ASCE 7 says, at least for my own edification.

I want to understand how this storm compared with the idealizations of the Code. And I want to be able to ad my informed opinions in future to what changes may come.

Keepin' my eye peeled for the next big blow on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Hurricane Alicia - Category 3 - August 18, 1983 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Alicia>

Hurricane Carla - Category 4 - September 11, 1961 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Carla>