Re: Bill Polhemus

Bill,

Tell me where in ANY of my posts I have stated that I believed that the
state/local response was perfect and they have made no mistakes.  I have
repeatedly stated that I think that there is plenty of blame to go around,
and that includes blame for mistakes that local and state government made.
You are the one that seems to think that mistakes have been
limited...albeit to only mistakes made by local/state folks.  Personally,
I believe that the Feds and Bush (he is the one in charge...so if he is
willing to take credit for positive stuff that he really has no control
over then he can get the blame for negative stuff that he may or may not
have control overs) dropped the ball.  But, then I believe this of local
and state government as well.  Heck, members of Congress (both
parties although since Republicans control both the House and
Senate, they largely control the agenda, so they frankly should
get a little more...but Dems are not pure) ultimately should likely get
some blame as well as I am sure that there are things languishing in
Congress that could helped the response (the co-chairs - one Dem and one
GOP - both cited an emergency commincations bill that is stuck in Congress
and has been there for a while that they claim could have helped with
commincation problems...this was supposedly from lessons learn from 9/11
that Congress just sat on).

I have equal disgust with response from many parties involved: state,
local, feds, Republicans, Dems, Bush, LA Gov, NO Mayor, etc.  You seem to
be the one that thinks that it is all in the hands of the local/state
folks (which just happen to mainly be Dems...wonder why your blame only
flys at them...did you get you memo from the RNC).  I am suspect that it
is possible that some of the Dems (local, state, or otherwise) are
following DNC talking points to toss blame at Bush.  I have no doubt that
there Dems shamefully using this disater to try and tar and feather Bush
(some which is deserved, some of which is not and just political crap),
but I don't wrap it up as know facts when it is just speculation on my (or
your) part with no proof.

I have consistently maintained that there is plenty of blame to go around.
And I personally feel (as I have stated) that this is not the time for it.
I have stated that I agree with Bush that now is not the time to
investigate what went wrong...unless such problems continue and could be
stopped now.  There will be plenty of time for the blame game and maybe
figuring out what went wrong later.

Personally, I think the NO mayor was stupid to toss blame around so freely
when more than likely he and local officials screwed up too.  Unlike you,
I choose to believe that there might be more reasons for his tirades other
than evil conspiracy theories of faxes from the DNC telling him what to
say...maybe the guy is a little bit upset and emotional and is lashing
out.  Maybe he even feels guilty for his mistakes and his subconscience
would allow him to face it so he seeks to blame others.  Maybe he has some
valid points.  Maybe he is a good little Dem and is following orders to
attack Bush.  I really don't know...and the point is that you don't either
even though you claim to be all knowing and smarter than an unwashed,
heathen of the Left like me.

Enjoy your superiority.

BTW, I enjoy your rants about how Houston could be next and how it seems
that you would like to have mandates for tougher building codes, yet in
previous rants about smaller government you talk about how we (society)
should not have to prop up the lifestyles of a few.  So, I guess that it
is OK to force some moron homeowner to spend more to make his house safer
cause YOU think it is better (and it happens to likely make more business
for you) rather than let the idiot live in a house that may not meet
current modern codes.  Does not make sense.  Why should you care if such
an idiot wants to live in house that may blow down?  Could it be that your
view of smaller government is really just government doing what YOU
believe it should do.

That is enough for me.  I really don't feel like banging my head against a
close-minded zealot.  I will just leave that we disagree and there ain't
no way in hell that I will ever get you to change your views, while I am
perfectly willing to admit that you do have some valid "political" points
at times (although many times they are only valid in a black and white
world...the shades of gray introduce practical problems in lots of
situations to otherwise valid beliefs).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI