Re: Field welding

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

Yeah, the EOR can require a reduction be taken. It may not be common, but it is his/her license on the line if it fails.

See, that's a great point.

To me, telling the erector that "you can field weld, and no one's going to bother REALLY inspecting it, and we're just going to ASSUME it works..."

Well, that takes the incentive to due diligence right out of it, doesn't it?

N.B. I suspect that a large number of contractors--sadly, I don't feel confident enough to say "most"--will do what is right no matter what the engineer says. But there are far too many that don't give a rip. And those are the ones we have to prepare for.