RE: Field welding

I hadn’t jumped in on this thread yet.  I’m curious as to why the engineer would even mention what he used as allowable stresses on the welds unless he was leaving the connection designs up to the fabricator.  That being said I think Jordan has covered the issue as far as I’m concerned.  I practice in an area where you never know who might be doing the welding in the field.  I can spec. anything as far as certifications etc etc. and will never know, because beyond the design I may have nothing more to do with the project.  This area is like doing design in a third world country.  I’ve seen too many instances where grade 60 reinforcing is called for and grade 40 is placed.  I don’t think anyone in the area knows how to tell the difference in the field.  I could go on and on.  Anyway, since I have moved here I will now use a reduced stress on field welds; I will design with 2500 psi concrete and grade 40 reinforcing because what I have seen in the field.  Building inspectors have not been any help, and the “designers” and architects don’t seem to care.  Like the other recent thread, the problems generally come back to the engineer to correct.  There wouldn’t be too many “take it out and replace it” instances before I would be totally out of work.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying