From: Neil Moore [mailto:nmoore(--nospam--at)innercite.com]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 11:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SE Grassroots Effort at Change (WAS: Field welding)

In the past few years, I've had the occasion of firing my client.   One came with a gripe about the bill ( he had a screwed up house expansion and had come in at the last minute).   As he stood standing in the office holding my drawings, calcs and the invoice, I calmly took the stuff out of his hands and told him to get another engineer.

Another was a client and contractor who almost every day had some sort of change.  The client was DEMANDING finished drawings and calcs.    Finally I told him that he didn't need to pay me what he owed at that time and for him to get another structural.   His lawyer and my lawyer got together and an agreement was worked out.   What he didn't realize was I wasn't going to give him the cad files for the work I had already done and hadn't been paid for.   After the agreement was in place, he came unglued when he realized that he didn't have any workable drawings, so another agreement was arranged where he received the cad drawings (for a fee).

He then came unglued again when he realized that I had taken my name and electronic stamp off the files.   Anyway, he went on to hire his third structural designer.

Actually I do refuse clients - many.  As to the field inspections:  when the client doesn't want you to inspect, there is almost always something going on.    On one project, every time I walked on the project there was serious problems:

        a.      Concrete tilt-up panels poured on Friday.  Cracked on Monday morning when I arrived.
        b.      Discovered chord bars not welded (field) on two end walls after the building had been signed off by special inspectors and the local building department.

I'm sure that all of us on the list have had these kind of horror stories.

I once pointed out to my superiors (this is a long time ago) that the field welding of a broken mast of a 200 Ton capacity stiffleg derrick was not correct.   Part of the problem was that the mast was made of "spun" steel and had a yield around 130 ksi.  (Probably Stressproof).  No one checked the chemistry.  There were also other things in my analysis to indicate when connections would fail and so on.   The report/calculations were turned in to my supervisor and I was sent out to a remote site (overseas) for a few months.   Upon my return, the crane had just been certified by field testing.  (It was being used to set tetrapods in the surf in Hawaii).  On the second day of use, the crane failed at the base field weld.  No one was killed but the operator was injured.

When I confronted the management about my previous warnings, they said that they would look more carefully at my calculations the next time.   Within about two weeks, I was working in another S.F. office and my old employer is no longer in business.

Neil Moore, S.E.
consulting structural engineers
shingle springs, california

distressed structures investigations