From: Cutler, Seth W CIV NAVFAC NW [mailto:seth.cutler(--nospam--at)navy.mil]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 3:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: CE Exam - Taking Structural in the PM?

Jeremy:

I took the Civil PE Exam with the Structural in the PM in 2004.  I worked as
a structural engineer for 4 years prior to taking the exam and felt it was
pretty easy.  I would not have done well with the Transportation portion
since I had no experience with the reference documents.  If you have worked
in the structural realm of engineering for any length of time I would say
that's the way to go.  For the most part the problems are those related to
basic problems with some reference to the codes.  Many of the specific
problems can be found if you are familiar with the reference codes.  I would
suggest attending a review course that does a basic review of all the
topics.  It especially helped with the items I hadn't used since college
like hydrology and environmental stuff.

HTH,
Seth W. Cutler, P.E.
Silverdale, WA