Re: SE Grassroots Effort at Change (WAS: Field welding)

Well, we called it A514. The yields were from 90 ksi through 100 ksi, depending upon the thickness. I forget that your forte is mechanical-structural. Was lucky to have two very good M.E.'s in this office at that time. Later on, one of them became a vice-president for my firm before Bechtel came along and doubled his salary and shipped him out to the Pacific somewhere. We were having a lot of fun working on turntables for military tanks (communication systems testing), saw upside down helicopter stands for monitoring the effectiveness of communications for a helicopter in an upset down attitude.

Was fun to be around a 192 wheel unit that could pick 700 tons and roll down the highway. One of these M.E.'s did this. Had a tendency to dig in, in soft asphalt! Was also fun to be able to go out into the welding shop and watch the welders put your stuff together. Also good to become buddies with these guys so that they could call you to the shop and show you why your "little" project wouldn't go together, (and not tell your boss).

One of my first "fix-it" jobs as a new "structural" consultant was to fix a hauling trailer array that started to fail under load on their way from an barge off loading area to a refinery in Benecia. Went out and checked the problem. By then the hauling contractor had blocked the load and they weren't going anywhere. Ended up field-welding some pretty thick and wide flanges and had to walk with the load as the contractor slowly pulled to the load a number of miles to the plant.

Got the plant and was challenged why I hadn't check a small steel bridge that the load had to cross. Of course, I had only been hired a the day or so before and had never been at the plant. But I knew that the load conformed to "purple" and that if the bridge was designed for H20, that we could slowly go across.

Geez, this is a long time ago and I don't remember name of the plant or some of these "real" engineers that were around in those days. But as far as the hauling contractor went, they became a long-term client until they took my advice and hired there own engineering staff.

Neil Moore, S.E.