From: Gustavo Franco [mailto:gfranco(--nospam--at)WILLDAN.com]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 5:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Valley Rafters

I dont know  of  any other way to get the smallest member possible than to design the member, also I believe this kind of framing IS called stick framing.

 Did somebody maybe mean to ask  for you to use prescriptive design (conventional light frame construction) ?

The calif building code conventional construction section 2320.12.3 states "... at all valleys and hips there shall be a single valley or hip rafter not less than 2-inch nominal thickness and not less in depth than the cut end of the rafter". There are limitations for allowing this.