From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: September 9, 2005 6:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Field welding

And the fact that companies don't like to pay wages which keep people
above the poverty level had nothing to do with the fact that some of the
people trapped in NOs could not afford to have their own car to get out of
town and thus were forced to rely on government, eh?

And, yes, I understand the need of companies to keep costs down to make a
profit and survive, etc.  The problem is that in such an environment the
plain simple truth is that many people don't get paid enough to cover
their expenses and as a result have no other option but to rely on
government/society for certain things.  Why don't you try paying all your
bills will working for minimum wage at McDonalds or Walmart?  The point is
that there is a Catch-22...we need people to do those low paying jobs (and
they need to be low paying to a large degree for the companies to survive)
yet those lowing paying jobs really don't pay enough for people to survive
sufficiently.  So, the result is that SOMEONE must supplement things to
cover things that those with low paying (below poverty level) don't cover.

So, yes, government can do a lot of those things that you talk about.
But, I have no doubt that all those taxes that you constantly complain
about pale in comparison to the bloated "profit" mark-ups that you pay
for goods that you buy from companies/stores in order for CEOs of
companies to get paid their ridiculous amounts of money all while there
are running the company into the ground with poor choices.  In
otherwords, you don't seem to mind paying "taxes" to corporations.  Such
"taxes" likely put you closer to non-existance than any federal taxes that
you pay.

As to taking away of livelihood, try running that past some small Mom and
Pop store that is run out of business when some corporate giant like
Walmart decides to open a store in the area (sometimes forceably against
the will of the local residents).  The result is still the same...some
poor smuck's way of putting food on the table went bye-bye due to some
companies (likely legal) actions.  And there is a good chance that it does
not bother you at all cause you can get your stuff for a little bit less.
Not to mention that people who work for a company can be "downsized",
effectively taking away their livelihood.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI