Shear Lag Factor for Connection to Tension Member

This is a question about the U factor to be used regarding the 2005 AISC Specification Table D3.1.

In a situation where I need to add more cover plates about 1/4 top and bottom to a HSS tube to compensat for the slotted hole (gusset plate) in the main tube. The added curved plates are made from a larger tubes to fit the OD. It is very much like the #6 item for rectangular HSS.  Since this situation is not covered in the table, can I assume the B = H = OD and get an "x-bar" of OD/8?

I have encountered a design of using U = 1 - x-bar/l.  Where the x-bar = D/3.1416 is used such as Case #5.  Is that acceptable?

Thanks

Sam Chang