RE: Field welding

Joe,
It is quite common in Canada to ask the fabricator to choose the
connections and have his engineer stamp the drawings for adequacy of
connections. The set-up in Can with regard to welding is different
than the US as every company engaged in welding of structural steel
for structures must be certifed by the Can Welding Bureau and must
hire or retain a professional engineer who will take responsibility
for welding engineering.
Gary