RE: Field welding

Gary,

It is quite common in my neck of the woods (and East of the Rockies as I
understand things) to ask the steel frabricator to design the connections
and have an/his engineer seal the shop drawings and/or connection
calculations.  It is still usually considered the EORs responsibility to
check those connections for adequacy (at least at every company that I
worked for)...even if sealed by the fabricator's engineer or consultant
engineer.

As to welder certification, that one is a little more "hit or miss".  I
believe (largely speculation with observation) that most, if not all,
welders in significant size fab shops will be certified welders.  The
issue will be whether or not the welders certified for certain welds
always do THOSE welds in the shop.  I would believe that in general they
will, but there is not wide spread required "system" in place to verify
that unless it is specifically written into the individual project specs
(and followed through with...I requirement enforced).  Field weld in
general on commercial jobs (at least in my area) will largely be the same
way.  Field welding (and to some degree on shop welding) for residential
work is a totally different matter.  There is a good chance for
residential work (at least in my area) that a field welder is some guy
that learned to weld that may or may not know what s/he is doing but is
typically NOT certified a lot of times.  Thus, I am little more careful
with field welding for residential work (i.e. try to avoid it completely
if possible).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI