Re: Field welding

Christopher Wright wrote:

On Sep 11, 2005, at 6:46 AM, Bill Polhemus wrote:

There comes a time in every engineer's practice where he has to think of his own viability in contrast to that of the perpetually cantankerous (and often slow-paying) client.

I have to admit, I've told clients that there wasn't anything more I could do for them, and I've certainly turned down certain types of work because I thought it'd be more trouble that I was prepared to go to...

That's essentially all I'm saying.

I try to be "upbeat" about it--I've even gone so far as to say "please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you," all the while thinking to myself "PLEASE DON'T CALL ME AGAIN!!!"

I do NOT like being made to feel like I'm someone's slop-jockey. Sure, they're paying me a fee for my service, but my limited command of Latin informs me that's spelled "Quid Pro Quo." That is, you pay me for work you cannot possibly do for yourself, related to my expertise. And it is a point of pride that I will NOT abide being told that "my foundation design/repair recommendation/whatever is the most expensive his contractor has ever seen."

That's like having a mechanic at Fred's Auto Repair and Icehouse informing the owner of the 2005 Escalade that "those idjit engineers at GM don' know whut the hail they's doin'!"

I have met maybe one out of a hundred contractors in this neck of the woods who even knows what the building code says--and fewer still who try to abide by it. Yet it seems like far too many owners would rather rely on their "expertise"--even when what they're telling them won't even save them any time OR money--than on mine or that of any other competent engineer.

This happens often enough that I've become very disgruntled with certain areas of work. It's just not worth it any longer.

That's one reason I start a new job working for someone else a week from tomorrow.